Although we have had a cooler Spring this year across Vancouver and Portland, don’t underestimate the power of a PNW summer! We may be in for extreme heat soon, so it is important to stay on top of your AC unit maintenance and repairs.
In this article, we’re giving you a review of some interesting AC unit facts you may have never heard before, as well as some basic mechanics you should review and know about to have the most efficient, well-running system this year.
Read on to learn more about your AC unit! If you have any immediate questions or concerns about your HVAC system, be sure to contact Comfort Air today!
How AC Works
Most people never give their air conditioner a second thought, unless it stops working. However, there are some people who are just a little more curious than others. Have you ever wondered how your air conditioner works? If so, then continue reading to learn more about some of the basics of air conditioning.
Air conditioners use refrigeration to cool your indoor air. So how does it work? When a liquid converts to gas, it absorbs heat, which is called phase conversion. That’s the principle that air conditioners take advantage of. AC units use phase conversion by making specific chemical compounds to evaporate and then condense repeatedly all in an enclosed coil system.
AC units also have fans that move the warm air over the cold refrigerant coils. When that happens the refrigerant inside absorbs the heat as it changes from liquid to a gaseous state. To keep cooling properly, the AC unit must then covet that gas back into liquid, which it does by using a compressor. The compressor then pushes all of the unwanted heat back outdoors with the help of the condenser coils. It’s an amazing process.
If you are in need of air conditioning repair in Portland OR then contact Comfort Air today. We are also heating experts so if you are having any troubles with your furnace or other heating unit, then contact us today. We can service all of your heating and cooling needs in the Portland/Vancouver area.
Surprising Facts About Air Conditioning
We came across an interesting article about a new book that’s based on the topic of air conditioning. The author of the book, which is titled: “Cool: How Air Conditioning Changed Everything,” is Salvatore Basile. In the book, Basile describes some very interesting facts about air conditioning that you might not have heard before:
- Some of the first big advances in air conditioning occurred in 1917 when theater owners lured people out of the heat by offering entertainment in a cool air-conditioned building.
- The English House of Commons was kept cool by a seven-foot hand-cranked “blowing wheel” in 1736. The person who turned the crank was referred to as the Ventilator.
- Two of the earliest successful cooling systems were installed in 1899 to keep the cadavers cold in the dissecting room at Cornell University, and in 1903 to keep the New York Stock Exchange cool for traders and brokers.
- The first President to sit back and enjoy a cool oval office in the summer was Herbert Hoover in 1929. The system cost $30,000.
- Back in the 1940’s an in-window AC unit cost about $350, which is the equivalent of about $3,500 in today’s dollars.
Air conditioning has come a long way over the years and decades, but one thing that will never change is how much we love it. That’s why Comfort Air is around to help Vancouver area residents enjoy their air conditioning. If you need any service on your AC unit then give us a call today at 360-205-1817.
Signs You Need an AC Repair
Like any other appliance in your home your air conditioner can run into problems. However, just because your AC unit has some issues it doesn’t mean you have to rush out and install a new system. There are many repairs that can be made to your unit by qualified, experienced professionals, like the ones we have at Comfort Air.
There are even some problems that you might be able to fix on your own, but when the issues get too complicated, that’s when you definitely want to contact a professional air conditioning contractor.
If your AC unit is experiencing any of the following issues, then contact Comfort Air for quick and reliable air conditioning repair:
- Your condenser stops running
- Insufficient cooling in your home
- Your unit is running but it is not cooling
- The AC unit continues to turn on and off over and over again
Although you might be able to fix some of the problems on your own it’s always a safer bet to contact us. We’ll send a certified technician to your home that will diagnose the problem and get it fixed fast.
AC Troubleshooting Guide
Are you having some troubles with your AC unit? Most problems are usually not a big deal, especially if you have your unit serviced regularly. Although we are always ready and able to help, we know that if you can save some money by taking care of the problem yourself you will be much happier.
So before you call the experts at Comfort Air here are some things you can do to troubleshoot the issue yourself:
- The first thing you should do is check your thermostat and make sure it’s set properly.
- Next up, check to see if there is actually air coming out of your registers. If not, then check the fan outside to see if it’s working. If you aren’t getting air, and the fan isn’t working either, then you could have a problem with your thermostat, the control board or the wires between the two.
- You should also check the condensate pump to make sure the reservoir isn’t full. If it has filled then the unit will usually stop working. If that’s the case, you will need to either fix or replace the pump.
These are just a couple of the possible problems that you can have with an air conditioner. However, by scheduling regular maintenance you can keep your unit running smoothly.
Contact Comfort Air Today!
We are ready to help! To get started with exceptional ac unit repair and maintenance, contact our exceptional team at Comfort Air now!
Schedule an Appointment: (360) 205-1817